Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Setting the scene

Last night I sat down with the cookbook to figure out exactly what I have gotten myself into; to do the math as it were. You would think this is an exercise I would have done before setting myself up for the challenge but I like to do things backwards, in fact I’ve got it down to a fine art.

So there are 60 recipes, divided into six sections: cupcakes, cakes, pies, muffins, brownies & bars and cookies.

Some are relatively easy such as the chocolate and vanilla cupcakes; others are going to be a little more tricky like making a pie crust from scratch (I’ve watched my mum do it and it ain’t easy!); then there are others which, to put it euphemistically, will be an acquired taste (ginger cupcakes anyone?).

I am dreading (yet excited about) looking for some of the more difficult-to-find ingredients like the lavender flowers, blueberries, pecan nuts and key limes. A friend of mine suggested substitutions for some ingredients and ultimately compromises will have to be made. However I will try to stay as true to the book as possible, and apply to friends and family to send stuff from abroad if necessary! After all, what’s the point of taking on a challenge if you don’t do it authentically!

I am not giving myself a fixed deadline but am vaguely thinking of finishing before my 31st birthday (21 November) but since I have a full time job and I don’t want to have a nervous breakdown in the process, I will take it at my own pace. BUT – I hope to be done before March next year!

Here’s to a year full of baking and sampling – it’s time to START COOKING :)

2 comments:

  1. ML, try the ginger cupcakes once i get to Karachi.
    Good luck with the cooking adventure! Looking forward to it.

    Ps. I'll help with getting ingredients as long as i get my commission ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure Sam, I'll wait for ya.

    Btw, is that commission in cash or kind ;)

    ReplyDelete